Our handmade spirits are made in small batches. Fresh fruit is soused in either gin or vodka (depending on your flavour) for many hours before being strained and the final finishing touches added to make our unique Lone Stag Spirits. It’s a secret family recipe.
What is left (once the spirit is made) is a sumptuous concoction of alcohol infused fruit. We thought long and hard about what we could do with these ‘leftovers’. We wanted to be zero waste and it seemed a crime to throw it in the food recycling!!
The brainwave hit when I was making a pavlova for Sunday afternoon tea. The mother-in-law was visiting and I was set on impressing her with my culinary skills (!). I popped some spirit infused raspberries on top and it was a hit. I was an instant Nigella!!!
So. We bottled it up and added it to our range. It seems it wasn’t just a hit with my in-laws – you guys love it too!!
Frisky Fruits were born. The perfect Chef’s accompaniment.
Leanne’s Perfect Pavlova Recipe
- 4 egg whites
- 250g caster sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- One jar of Lone Stag Frisky Fruits
- 400g of your favourite seasonal berries
- Heat oven to 150C/130C fan or gas mark 2
- Using a pencil, mark out the circumference of a dinner plate on baking parchment.
- Whisk 4 egg whites with a hand mixer until they form stiff peaks, then whisk in 250g caster sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until the meringue looks glossy.
- Whisk in 1 tsp white wine vinegar, 1 tsp cornflour and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Spread the meringue inside the circle, creating a crater by making the sides a little higher than the middle.
- Bake for 1 hr, then turn off the heat and let the Pavlova cool completely inside the oven. I often leave mine overnight.
- Whip 350ml double cream with the remaining 1 tbsp icing sugar and spread it over the meringue once it has totally cooled.
- Take your chosen jar of Lone Stag Frisky fruits and drizzle over the cream.
- Top with your seasonal fruits.
- Present with pride!