5 Things About Parabens You Need To Know:
All our body care products are paraben-free, but what are parabens used for and why can they be potentially harmful?
- Whilst some forms of paraben can be found in nature, those that are used in cosmetics are synthetic preservatives and can be found in everything from shampoo, to moisturiser, to make-up.
- Some parabens have been shown to have weak oestrogenic activity in test-tube studies and some scientists have expressed concerns over whether repeated exposure could potentially affect hormone levels.
- Their use is restricted in some countries and Denmark has banned two specific parabens in products intended for use on children under three years old.
- Common parabens include methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben and butylparaben.
- A recent study published in the journal Environment Science & Technology has reported that parabens have been found for the first time in the bodies of marine animals, including polar bears, sea otters and species of dolphin.
So next time you look for a body moisturiser or body wash, make sure you check the list of ingredients on the back of the bottle to make sure it’s paraben-free, that way you are not only taking better care of you and your skin, you are also helping to preserve the environment.